Saturday 16 March 2013

Number plate cake

Hi all,
    Happy New Year! Hope you all had a restful and happy Christmas break.

Ive been busy baking as usually and made a few sweet treats since the new year..one of them being a cake for a friend of a friend who loves his Mercedes Benz!

I looked online for different ideas for a number plate cake and found a few that I liked. I saw this one and wanted to do something similar...



I didn't have a small rectangular cake tin so I had to improvise! I used a large rectangular baking tray, then once the cake was cooked and cooled I cut it in half and sandwiched the two pieces together like this...


Then after a little tidy up of the overspilling jam, I crumb coated the cake and chilled it for a little while.. at this stage it looked like this....


It was then time to ice the cake.. I wanted it to look similar to the picture I had found on the Internet so I went for white sugarpaste and a black border. I was asked if I could do a personalised number plate which said 'gr8 1' with a Mercedes Benz logo. To do the Mercedes Benz logo I drew out the logo on a piece of greaseproof paper and then used a scribing tool to etch the logo onto some rolled out black sugarpaste, then cut the logo out. As I didn't have any silver sugarpaste, again I had to improvise and painted the black sugarpaste silver... it could have looked better if it was sprayed silver/ used silver sugarpaste... but it done the trick!






No comments:

Post a Comment