Tuesday 10 April 2012

Barbie Cake number 2...

I was asked by a friend if I would make a Barbie cake for their daughter and of course I said yes!
I made this barbie cake bigger than the first one I made as I was unsure how many people the cake needed to cater for.

Using a different technique, as well as using the pampered chef bowl to get the shape of the barbie's skirt, I added more height to the skirt by adding two sandwich cakes underneath and trimmed them to size. I used alternative fillings for each layer, either vanilla buttercream or jam.

I experimented a little more with the design of the dress but stuck to a bright pink theme, perfect for any birthday princess. I made three layers to the skirt this time with a bubblegum pink icing as the underneath layer, peach for the second layer and a glittery pink for the top layer of the skirt and the barbies bodice.

To make the icing glittery, I bought magic sprinkle edible dust and sprinkled this over the icing as I rolled it out so it was then imprinted into the icing. It added that extra girly edge and looked good! The glitter came in a pot similar to the one below and is easy to order from any cake craft store or online like on ebay!


The finishing touches to the barbie cake were adding decorative edible glitter flowers and a ribbon to give the effect of a bow around the waistline and down the back of the dress. Below is the end result.


No comments:

Post a Comment