Tuesday 8 May 2012

Icecream Cone Cupcakes...

I saw the idea for these cakes on the internet and knew I had to try them out! They are cupcakes baked in an icecream cone rather than a cupcake case. They are made the same as a normal cupcake so are simple to make! I decided for my first attempt at making these cakes I would just make a simple vanilla sponge mix as I was unsure about how they would turn out but they turned out fab!
I filled the cones with batter to just over half way up as I didnt want them to spill over the top and spoil the look, it was just the right amount. I secured the cones in a cupcake tin with tin foil to stop them toppling. I covered the whole tin with tinfoil then pierced holes where each cupcake should sit and i pushed the cones into the holes so they were secure. I gently banged the tray off the surface to make sure the mixture had reached the bottom of the cone.

After baking for 20minutes I pierced holes in the bottom of the cone with a fork to let the heat out and to prevent the cones going soggy whilst they were cooling down. Once cooled, it was time to decorate. The mixture spread perfectly down the length of the cone and the cone remained crunchy and fresh.

I used a two tone icing topping with blue and yellow buttercream and piped it like a traditional 99' cone and topped with coloured sprinkles.


Perfect cakes for a childrens party and are a great spin off from the traditional cupcake!




My cousin described these cakes as "The funnest cupcake I have ever eaten"

No comments:

Post a Comment