Monday 21 May 2012

Holy Communion cakes...

My latest task was to make a Holy Communion cake and cupcakes. I had so many ideas and wanted to try them all!

I knew the cake had to be simple and elegant so I went for a traditional vanilla sponge with a buttercream and jam filling. I covered the cake with white sugarpaste and used letter embossers to imprint a personal message and date. I used edible food paint to shade in the letters and I went for a silver shade and it came out perfect. It was subtle and elegant and brightened up the look of the cake.

The main feature of my cake was a Holy Cross. I bought a cross stencil on Ebay and it was brilliant. It included a floral pattern embosser to create a pattern on the cross and also came with small embossers to create fancy edges on each corner of the cross. It came out brilliant. To highlight the patterns on the cross, I again coated the cross with the silver food paint and it looked lovely. I was very happy with how it came out and it really brightened up the cake and gave it a feature.


The small book beside the cross is one of my sugarpaste bibles! I made the bibles to use as cupcake toppers and I personalised them by putting a name on one side and a holy cross on the other,imitating an open book. These were easy to make and are just a matter of shaping and moulding into the shape of a book and decorating as you wish. I used a light brown sugarpaste as the base (cover of the book) and white sugarpaste for the top section (pages of the book). I used a cocktail stick to score page lines along the sides, front and back of the book but these were subtle so cannot be seen in the photo.







The cakes were for a young girl and every young girls loves a bit of pink so I dressed up the cake with a pink border around the front and back of the bow and finished my presenting the cake with a pink and silver bow. To match the cake, I decorated the cupcakes with a strawberry flavoured buttercream and then topped the buttercream with the Bible toppers. I also added a few pink edible flowers to the cross to give it a girly edge.










 

No comments:

Post a Comment