Wednesday 11 July 2012

Spiderman Cupcakes...

Hi Everyone, its been a while since I have found some spare time to blog so I have a lot of catching up to do!! Been busy baking over the last two months.

I would like to share with you my spiderman cupcakes which I made for a five year old's birthday party.

I used my jam centred cupcake recipe where you gently place just under half a teaspoon of jam on top of the cake mix before it goes in the oven... Once cooked and cut down the centre the jam should have set in the middle (or near the middle) of the cupcakes. If you have put too much jam it will sink to the bottom of the mixture so will be basically the base of the cake which is no fun!!

After trimming the points (domes) of the tops of my cupcakes to make them flatter, I proceeded to make my spiderman design. I did a spiderman face design so started off with 12 red circles of icing to fit the tops of the cupcakes as shown in the photo below.
I then began to paint on the spiderman mask features with black edible paint and a fine paintbrush (icing brush), beginning with a cross, then extending the amount of lines to create a pattern with 8 small diagonal lines meeting in the centre as illustrated in the photo below...
Next was to create the web effect. I started on the outside of the icing and made small arched inward lines between each existing line and worked towards the centre of the icing... The first step can be seen in the picture below...
Repeat this process once more (or twice if you would like), creating an inner webbed pattern. Once completed they should look like this....

The last step is to add the eyes. I did this by cutting out small white triangles of icing and outlining them with the black edible paint then attached them to the cakes and they looked really effective. I used a thin layer of buttercream spread on the top of the cupcake to hold the icing in place. Below is the finished product...
So for an easy recipe perfect for any little boy who is a spiderman fanatic, these cupcakes are perfect!

Happy Baking xox

No comments:

Post a Comment