Thursday 12 July 2012

Tinkerbell cake...

I made a tinkerbell cake for my cousin for her 3rd birthday. I had looked at a few tinkerbell cakes on the internet so had a rough idea of what I wanted to do. As long as there was plenty of chocolate flavour, glitter and tinkerbell...I knew she would be happy!!

I bought a little tinkerbell figure from Ebay but small tinkerbell dolls can be bought in supermarkets for around £6 as well (i only noticed this after I had bought the figure, but i still saved a pound!)

I bought violet coloured sugarpaste dye to colour a kilo of white icing I had bought, adding very small amounts at a time using a cocktail stick and dragging it across the icing, then kneeding it in to gain a consistent all over lilac colour. The more dye that is added, the stronger the colour will be. I used the lilac icing as the main colour on the cake.

I then repeated this method with leaf green dye paste and dyed some white icing I had set aside.
I used pink icing to create a flower for the centre of my cake to sit tinkerbell on. I applied edible glitter to the icing and cut the icing into petal shapes amd placed them in the centre of the cake, resting tinkerbell on top. I rolled the green icing into sausage shapes, being slightly thicker at one end and added them round the sides of the cake, curling them round at the top to look like stems. Using a petal cutter, I then cut out some leaf shapes to add to the end of the stems. I used a cocktail stick to vein the leaves to give them a more realistic appearance.

To finish off the cake I add some personal details and added some large colourful flowers around the base of the cake and set it on a large cake board.

The cake itself was a chocolate cake with a fresh cream and raspberry jam filling and it was lovely. I got the recipe of the BBC food website, see the link below for the recipe. It is easy to make and the recipe is easy to follow and it turns out lovely!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/easy_chocolate_birthday_90089

Happy baking!! xox

No comments:

Post a Comment