Friday 9 March 2012

Everyone loves the cookie monster...

I saw the idea for these cupcakes on Youtube and thought they looked brilliant!!... Cookie Monster Cupcakes...

Ingredients were easy to get hold of.. all that was needed to deocrate them was blue food colouring, desicated coconut (which I found in Tesco), white chocolate buttons, black icing or an icing pen and cookies (I used maryland cookies)

I used a basic vanilla cupcake recipe for the cakes themselves.. but it could be adapted to chocolate ones or whatever you fancy really!

To decorate I made a bowl of blue butter icing (stork marg + icing sugar+ blue food colouring) and I coated each cake in this. Then I put desicated coconut into a freezer bag and added a few drops of blue food colouring, sealed the bag and shook it until the coconut absorbed the blue colour. I then poured the dyed coconut into a bowl and I dipped all the cakes into it until they were coated. It is at this stage that the mouth needs to be made. I used a sharp knife and cut a section out of the cake in the shape of a mouth, deep enough to fit half a cookie. I removed the spare sponge and filled the space with a cookie. I them topped each cake with two white chocolate buttons to imitate eyeballs and used a black icing pen to make pupils.

And this was the result....

I took these cakes into work and my collegues loved them!! And best of all they all knew who the character was straight away... Priceless!

1 comment: