Monday 5 March 2012

Vanilla Sponge Butterfly Cupcakes...

My love for baking cakes began when I offered to help a friend make cakes for a local school fete, I had made cupcakes before when I was younger but being young, the interest didnt last very long!                                                                        The cakes I made for the school fete were these classic butterfly cupcakes with a cream and jam centre, simple to make and popular with everyone. Using a simple vanilla cupcake recipe, the cakes were baked for roughly 20mins.
Once the cakes were cooled, I cut a small circle incision around the top of each cake and removed the cut out circle of sponge and set it aside. I then filled the hole with a dollop of jam topped with whipped double cream. To finish off the cakes, I cut the circle of sponge which I earlier set aside into two even pieces and placed them on top of the cream to give the effect of butterfly wings. A slight dusting of icing sugar dresses the cakes up to make them look more appealing.

After making these cakes several times and perfecting the sponge I made a few variations of butterfly cakes including chocolate butterfly cakes and lemon butterfly cakes. All just as easy and all just as delicious! Perfect cakes to go with a cup of tea or coffee and always go down well at a party!

No comments:

Post a Comment