Tuesday 6 March 2012

The icing on the cake!

Baking cupcakes with simple decorations and recipes became too easy for me so I decided to turn my hand to experimenting with fondant icing designs. Until now I have usually decorated my cakes with glaze icing or butter icing which are easy to spread onto cupcakes and cakes and can be easily scraped off and recoated if there is a disaster or can be redone to improve the appearance of the cake. I decided to set myself the challenge to make rose flowers out of fondant icing and this was the first attempt...
Not bad for a first attempt? As I got more confident and got the technique right, my flowers began to improve and lost their jagged edge and had smoother more petal like edges.

I find the best way to do to the flowers is to roll pea size balls of icing with a rolling pin between two sheets of clingfilm. This saves the hassle of spreading icing sugar over a work surface and prevents the problem of the icing sticking to the rolling pin and breaking or cracking.

Begin by make a cone shape with a sturdy bottom section as this will be used to wrap the petals around so needs to be able to carry the weight of the flower. After rolling out a pea sized ball of icing into a petal shape, wrap it tightly around the cone to form the centre of the flower; the bud. Then continue to do this process several times but peel the tops of the petals out slightly to shape them into outer petals. The more petals you add, the wider they should be to make the outer petals more dispersed to imitate a flower in bloom. Once you have a wide flower, the bottom section of the cone can be cut off and only the flower will remain. This can then be placed directly onto the cake or cupcake.  Voila... Pink Rose Cupcakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment